Thursday, September 20, 2012

Family Unit Blog 2

Once Upon a Time by Nadine Gordimer

 SITUATIONAL IRONY: takes place when there is a discrepancy between what is expected to happen, or what would be appropriate to happen, and what really does happen

 This story is an anti-fairytale. The situational irony is that I am pretty sure everyone in the class thought it was going to be the cat that got killed because when the story says, "I hope the cat will take heed...The husband said, Don't worry, my dear, cats always look before they leap" (Gordimer 236). It totally should have been the cat! I love cats and even wish it was him. That little boy read one of the creepy grandma's books (she also had nothing to do with the death unlike I thought she would) and wanted to be like a prince and scale the walls of the castle and kiss Sleeping Beauty back to life. The grandma was foreshadowing the downfall I think. This family's hubris or, tragic flaw, was that they were way too paranoid. In trying to save their family and son, they actually pave the way of the death of their little son.


No comments:

Post a Comment