Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Othello Blog Post #6

Othello, the Moor of Venice by William Shakespeare

This play doesn't have much comedy in it, but I believe I was able to find a little bit of humor in one situation in Act IV. I don't know about anyone else, but I found myself giggling a little bit to myself when Emilia, Desdemona, and Iago are talking about the rumors that Othello is asking Desdemona about. Emilia is just going on and on about how someone could start rumors like that between two people who love each other so much. The whole time you know Iago is thinking, "yep that's me. I did it. I'm the devil." Emilia says she'll be hanged "if some eternal villain,...to get some office, Have not devised this slander. I'll be hanged else" (IV.ii.130-133). Then Iago's just like "oh there's no such man, it is impossible" (IV.ii.134). I think it is so funny. And then she continues to go on and on and Iago just agrees and I don't know why I find it so funny. It is probably the immense irony in the situation that I find funny. Like, he is right in front of you. Your husband is the eternal villain! Also, there is foreshadowing when Emilia says she will be hanged if there is such a person who would do this. Well, looks like you're dying Emilia. There is such villain. His name is Iago and he's your husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment