Thursday, November 15, 2012

Frankenstein Blog Post #2

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

 I have a hunch about why Walton and the stranger, who we know is named Victor, bonded so quickly. I believe they might be related, maybe even brothers. First off, Walton saved him so that is reason to believe they would be nice to each other. That can't be all though. I believe Walton may have empathy towards Victor because both of their spirits had been broken before by misery. Walton was just writing his sister about how he was in need of a friend. It is almost like she sent Victor on an ice sheet up to the North Pole to be with him. Also, they both have this strange love for their sisters that is almost creepy. There are just too many similarities between the two for them to not be related. Both Walton and Victor have this vision that they are going to do something great for humanity and go somewhere that no other person had gone. Walton says, "I shall satiate my ardent curiosity with the sight of a part of the world never before visited, and may tread a land never before imprinted by the foot of man" (Shelley 1). He wants to go somewhere like the North Pole and try to figure out magnets and the needle that always points north on a compass. When telling Walton his story, Victor says, "So much has been done...more, far more, will I achieve: treading in the steps already marked, I will pioneer a new way, explore unknown powers, and unfold to the world the deepest mysteries of creation" (Shelley 28). I believe that Walton may have been put up for adoption or something because both of these men are just too similar to me to not be related in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment