Thursday, November 15, 2012

Frankenstein Blog Post #5

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

 I found it very interesting how the creature would learn. His learning process was fascinating to me and it was like he started out as a baby in adult form, but had to develop through his own experiences. It had to learn by trial and error. He begins his story by saying he "...saw, felt, heard, and smelt at the same time; and it was, indeed, a long time before I learned to distinguish between the operations of my various senses" (Shelley 70-71). I can't imagine having all my senses at one time and having to learn how to do everything all at the same time. The first thing he figures out is sight and the different saturations of light that he encounters in different times of the day. He learns by doing. The creature figures out what he needs by what brings him pleasure. It is all very interesting to me. I believe that this is very important and also connects him in a way to Victor and Walton. All three of them wish to be able to do certain things, the creature maybe not something as fantastic as Walton and Victor, but he still has the urge to learn and do better. He pushes himself to learn and do better so he can impress the family that have now become what he thinks are "friends".

No comments:

Post a Comment