Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Never Let Me Go Blog Post #2

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

 Miss Lucy is an odd character to me. She seems to know so much and she seems to want to tell all the kids what she knows so badly, but she just can't seem to find the right words. In section two, I think she has a sort of outburst because she can't hold it in any longer. She over hears some boys talking about their futures and the reader finds out very important details about the students and their futures. Miss Lucy says, "Your lives are set out for you. You'll become adults, then before you're old, before you're even middle-aged, you'll start to donate your vital organs. That's what each of you was created to do" (Ishiguro 81). If I was told this as a thirteen-year-old, I don't know what my reaction would be. The messed up part, though, is that none of the kids react like a normal person would. They already have this idea about it and they just accept it like it's nothing. It's sick and I don't understand how people just go along with it. I have to learn more about the purpose and the people behind the operation first. Miss Lucy has this sort of empathy towards the kids I think, too. I feel like she was in their shoes at one point because she has so much trouble with not telling the kids about their futures. Maybe she went to Hailsham too.

No comments:

Post a Comment