Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Never Let Me Go Blog Post #7

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

 The moral questions this story raises are insane. Whether or not clones should be used for medical purposes? Whether or not these clones would then have souls? Whether or not it is ethical for these students to not have a decision and be kept in the dark? This book really makes you think about what you would do in a situation like this. It seems like a practical use, but if the students did have souls then it would seem weird. Personally, I don't think the students would have souls because they are clones. Miss Emily has a good point when she says, "How can you ask a world that has come to regard cancer as curable, how can you ask such a world to put away that cure, to go back to the dark days?" (Ishiguro 263). It really does make sense. Like, the people feel weird about it, but as long as they keep them just pushed off to the side and don't think about them, they know their loved ones can live longer and be cured of usually incurable diseases because of these clones. I don't know, it makes me think about what I would do. I think I would be against this. It seems too unnatural for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment