Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Never Let Me Go Blog Post #8

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

 I hated the ending of this book. Absolutely hated it. Nothing happened! The book just ended and we never really find anything out. Did the cloning continue? What happened with Madame and Miss Emily? Did Kathy ever become a donor?? I just wish Ishiguro would have put a little more in to the ending. He just sort of killed off Kathy's only real family and then left "waiting a little bit, then turned back to the car, to drive off to wherever it was I was supposed to be" (Ishiguro 288). I know he left it unresolved on purpose though. It is up to the reader to decide what they think should happen. I was sort of hoping for a happy ending where Tommy and Kathy finally have a lightbulb in their brain that they could live so much longer and happier together. I wanted them to run off together to Norfolk and "find their love" (because everything lost is found in Norfolk). This wasn't a romantic novel though, so that didn't seem plausible in the least bit. For me though, it was definitely an unsatisfactory ending and I was not pleased with Mr. Ishiguro. I liked the novel, just not the ending of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment