Friday, July 6, 2012

 There are now two scandals occurring in The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton. Not only are there the letters about Seldon and Mrs. Dorset, but now there are wild rumors flying about Lily and Gus Trenor. I knew this was going to happen too. I could totally see it coming. He is just so creepy with how he talks to her I feel. When he "leans unpleasantly close in order to convey this suggestion" (Wharton 95) I can't help but feel so creeped out for Lily. Again, I could be incorrect about Gus's intentions for Lily, but I believe he's suggesting inappropriate things for her.

 My assumptions are confirmed when Lily's aunt, Mrs. Peniston is informed of the rumors said about Lily. When she says, "but the idea that any scandal could attach to a young girl's name, above all that it could be lightly coupled with that of a married man..." (Wharton 100) tells me that the rumors about Lily are disgusting and horrid rumors. People are saying that he is paying her and expecting something else in exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment