Sunday, July 29, 2012

Great Gatsby 3

 The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

 And now we have the pleasure of meeting Tom Buchanan's mistress...yippee. Sarcasm is one of my favorite things:) I find it very rude that Tom has the guts to take the woman, who is not his wife, out to dinner where other people see him and out places with his friends. It is a slap in the face to his real wife, Daisy. Come to find out Tom's mistress, Myrtle, is the wife of Mr. George B. Wilson who owns a car garage in a dusty place. So, they're both cheating! and they have their own place in the city together. There is too much going wrong right now.

 Tom and Myrtle sure know how to throw a raging banger, though. I know this because Nick says, "I have been drunk just twice in my life, and the second time was that afternoon" (Fitzgerald 29). He went to the party where I think there was a bunch of weirdoes. Everyone just seemed so odd. The McKee's, a duo of an "artistic" photographer and his wife, who's "...shrill, languid, handsome, and horrible" (Fitzgerald 30). They fascinate me and I feel they live in some strange reality. Then there is Myrtle's sister, Catherine. Shocker! She too, knows Gatsby. Sister Catherine seems to know all about Myrtle's love life. She informs Nick that they both hate the person their married too and that Daisy is Catholic which keeps Tom from getting a divorce (lie). Then, we find out that Tom and Myrtle have a fight and Tom hits Myrtle in the nose. Craziness.

 Im sure Nick went to bed that night thinking "what in the world did I just go through?? Do people like this really exist?"...and the answer is, YES.

No comments:

Post a Comment