Sunday, July 29, 2012

Great Gatsby 2

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

 Nick is off to see "two old friends whom I(he) scarcely knew at all" (Fitzgerald 6). The Buchanans, Tom and Daisy, are a peculiar couple. I get the sense that they have a lot of issues. It is at their house that Nick first meets the pro golfer, Jordan Baker. I have a feeling they are going to like each other and what a surprise! she knows Gatsby. Who would have thought? Everyone seems to know him. I am beginning to feel out of the loop for not knowing who this character is...

 The dinner at the Buchanans' reminds me of a dinner with my friends, no real thread of conversation, just a bunch of nonsense comments floating around. Also they don't really seem to have an agenda, dinner will happen when it happens. There is a different sort of tension, however, between these people--Specifically the Buchanans. Apparently, Tom is cheating on Daisy. He wasn't even there for the birth of his own child. I read this interesting quote that Daisy is saying about her little girl which says, "I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool--that's the best thing a girl can be In this world, a beautiful little fool" (Fitzgerald 17). I had no idea what this could mean. So, naturally, I looked it up. Apparently, she is being somewhat sardonic in the sense that she doesn't like her eras standards in that a girl will be better off being beautiful and somewhat stupid. Also, it could be referring to her being a fool and marrying Tom, who is now cheating on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment