Sunday, July 15, 2012

 The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton is now drawing to an end. A huge change has overcome Lily and she has adapted all throughout the story very well. I was most proud of her when I saw that she was wanting to take the money she gets from her Aunt's death and put it toward starting up her own business. She would then use the money made over a period of time to pay back her debts to Trenor. I thought it was very smart and clever of her to be thinking this way.

 She is then surprised by Mr. Rosedale. All she has to do in order for him to marry her is "...the sole condition of a reconciliation with Mrs. Dorset" (Wharton 244). She was very slowly beginning to like Mr. Rosedale more and more. If it meant all her troubles were to go away and she would have plenty of future love and security, I don't know why Lily doesn't just marry Mr. Rosedale. I think she should just suck it up and apologize to Mrs. Dorset. She could use Mr. Rosedale and all his kindness. I hope to see Lily make better decisions toward the end of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment