Sunday, July 15, 2012

 In The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton, Miss Lily Bart has shown a change in her life. She now is a secretary for Mrs. Hatch and lives with her. She is making her own money. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for Lily to go from never doing anything to having to work and make her own money.

 Lily now has a completely different life with different schedules and friends. The details of Mrs. Hatch's life seemed very strange to Lily because "Mrs. Hatch and her friends seemed to float together outside the bounds of time and space. No definite hours were kept; no fixed obligations existed: night and day flowed into one another in a blur of confused and retarded engagements..." (Wharton 223). Lily and her former friends had packed schedules with numerous ordered activities. This life is completely different.

 I can say that about a year ago, I started working at my first job. I am a hostess at Shallos Restaurant and it was pretty different going from having all the time in the world, to having to plan out everything around my work schedule. I made many sacrifices including missing all but two of our Friday night football games. It definitely was difficult, but the reward, the money, was completely worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment