Sunday, July 1, 2012

 In the beginning of The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton, I began to get a feel for the main character, Lily Bart. I am starting to see her as someone who puts an immense emphasis on money and status. I can only wonder where she has gotten these feelings and beliefs. I see now that she got most of it from her parents. 

 Her mom was the kind of person who only cared about money and what other people thought. I thought it was weird how in the book she was only referred to as "Mrs. Bart". I thought it was a little hint to the formalities of Lily's younger life. Just something that may or may not have anything to do with the story, but still interesting. 

 Her mother was very focused on wealth and materialism and that transferred over to Lily. Lily's mom had the belief that, "...whatever it cost, one must have a good cook, and...be decently dressed" (Wharton, 23). This just shows that Mrs. Bart made sure to teach her daughter to put a huge emphasis on money and what you have and who knows you.

No comments:

Post a Comment