Sunday, July 29, 2012

Great Gatsby 1

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

 The book begins with the narrator, Nick Caraway telling us about some advice his dad gave him. The advice was "Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone, just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had" (Fitzgerald 1). This sort of suggests that he had a good upbringing with money and love. This is some advice my father would give to me too. Nicks father seems like my dad because he always tells me to never judge anyone. Also, in the beginning, I feel this sort of suspense for what is to come. He is describing this person, Gatsby, who's life he has "unaffected scorn for" but still has some gorgeous aspect to it.

 He just so happens to live next door to this great character who is both mysterious and fantastic all at the same time. I get the feeling of foreshadowing with the fact that "It was a matter of chance..." that he would have rented a house "...in one of the strangest communities in North America" (Fitzgerald 4). The book would not be interesting if he was in a boring neighborhood. This is why I have a feeling of suspense and want to see why the community is so interesting and who this Gatsby fellow is.

No comments:

Post a Comment