Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Great Gatsby 12

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

 I feel like Tom is the first wheel here. It's like Jay and Daisy and Nick and Jordan. Tom's just tagging along almost and I think it's really funny. And I get the feeling that no one likes and all he does is make incredulous and insulting remarks.

 And then finally, it all comes out. Tom snaps and says, "Self-control!...I suppose the latest thing is to sit back and let Mr. Nobody from Nowhere make love to your wife" (Fitzgerald130). And then, Gatsby comes out completely blunt and says that she never loved him and she has always loved Gatsby. Everything just comes out. Jay and Tom go back in forth for a while and I felt like at some point Daisy should have stepped in and said something. It's also pretty ironic that Tom is getting mad considering he had a whole other life with another woman. He thinks it's okay to make these decisions as long as it's only him doing the wrong. It's not okay. For a second I felt like no one was going to stay together. But I get the feeling Tom is only mad because his other girl is being forced to leave so he will have no one else to be with. But everyone leaves and Daisy and Jay go home together. I have a feeling this can't be the end of the story though. Something else has to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment