Sunday, August 5, 2012

Great Gatsby 6

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

 I get the sense of a softer side of Jay Gatsby now. He's showing his vulnerability in his love for Daisy, who is also now Tom Buchanan's wife. I was irritated for a while because Gatsby wouldn't just tell Nick what was going on. He kept mentioning a favor and that something very sad had happened to him and that Jordan Baker would tell him about it. I thought it had to do with Nick stealing his girl, Jordan, but it turns out it was quite the opposite. Jordan was to tell him what happened to Jay and what he was supposed to do to help him out. When out to lunch, Nick sees Tom and goes to talk to him, but Jay leaves because it's Daisy's husband. I could tell everything was leading up to this. I was suspended, but I could kind of see the twist coming. Otherwise, why would we learn about who Tom and Daisy are in the first place?

 I see the soft side of Jay Gatsby because I read, "The officer looked at Daisy while she was speaking, in a way that every young girl wants to be looked at some time..." (Fitzgerald 75). This is so adorable to me! and so true. I feel like every girl wants this to happen. They were in love, but war and family tore them apart. Daisy never even got to say goodbye and on her wedding day had a breakdown, but in the end went on with her life. Now, they have a chance and Nick is the way they will get back together. I predict that Daisy and Jay will get together and she'll leave her horrible husband and Jordan and Nick will stay in love also.

No comments:

Post a Comment