Sunday, August 5, 2012

Great Gatsby 5

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

 Now, I get to see a little bit into the life of Nick Carraway. There is a break in the story of Gatsby to tell a little about Carraway himself. He moved to New York and is all alone. He lives alone, walks alone, eats alone. I can infer this because I read, "I took dinner usually at the Yale Club--for some reason it was the gloomiest event of my day..." (Fitzgerald 56). This is so sad to me. I hope I am never alone when I'm older. Also, I hate seeing really old people eating all alone in restaurants. I always think they are so sad.

 Nick finds love, though. He finds it in Jordan Baker, the tennis star. But, we all have flaws and Jordan's is that she lies and is "incurably dishonest". She is also a horrible driver and doesn't care. She thinks everyone else is good and they'll stay out of her way. I too am a horrible driver sometimes, but i still hope I don't hurt anyone and certainly do try my best. There is a catch though. I think Nick is still involved in something back home because when he starts to think he loves Jordan, he says he is "slow-thinking and full of interior rules that act as brakes on my desires, and I knew that first I had to get myself definitely out of that tangle back home" (Fitzgerald 58). He had been writing letters signed "Love, Nick" which makes me believe they may be love letters and he has a girl back home who he needs to let go before he can fully fall for Jordan. I admire this quality about him, this quality of honesty. I wish everyone were like Nick Carraway in this aspect.


No comments:

Post a Comment