Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Unit One Blog Post 2

Hazel Tells LaVerne by Katharynn Howd Machan

 farce: a type of comedy in which ridiculous and often-stereotyped characters are involved in silly farfetched situations.

 This was probably my favorite work out of all the works in unit one. I could find the humor in it and really understand it. One of the aspects I found that related to farce was definitely the use of humor to ridicule the traditional fairytale of the frog princess. I found humor in the dialect and the whole situation itself. Hazel tells LaVerne, "well i screams ya little pervert an i hitsm with my mop" (Machan). I can imagine this "Hazel" reenacting the story and telling all about this situation that happened. Another farce aspect is the stereotypical part. Although the dialect is funny, I still get a sense that she is a stereotypical uneducated black woman. It's totally how I perceive a person like that to react though. She's also poor because she is "cleaning out my howard john sons ladies rooms" (Machan). It is stereotypical that she would freak out and call the frog a pervert and hit it with a broom and then go and tell her girlfriend all about what happened. It is also farfetched. The original fairytale is a little out there, but this "fairytale" definitely brings a little modern day twist. I think it gives a little more of a realistic feel to the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment